Thursday, March 20, 2014

Recipe Replay

I told Carolyn we should start doing some soft of spotlight on the blog where we each make the same recipe and compare notes. I don't have a snappy name for it yet, but since I literally JUST texted her and haven't heard a reply, I have some time. 

But this made me think about a recipe we already both tried: Super Fudgy Paleo Brownies from Gluten Free on a Shoestring. These are AWESOME. When I first made them I made them about three more times in as many weeks. Then I moved states, forgot where I packed the pots, and this recipe totally left my radar. But then earlier this week I remembered them and all their deliciousness and I got a little peeved that I allowed myself to run out of coconut flour, something that's a b%#&h to get when you now live in the middle of nowhere. 

So while I fantasize about having these soon (my coconut flour is being delivered tomorrow....I checked), let me tell you my small changes.

Unlike Carolyn, I didn't use stevia. Not a fan of stevia or it's funny after taste. Instead I totally omitted the coconut sugar. I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips which are already sweetened, so the last thing I wanted to do was add honey AND sugar. No way. I also used a heaping tablespoon of honey (about 1.5 Tablespoons measured). I'm conscientious of my sugar, so if I followed the recipe I would have slipped into a sugar stupor and awoken three days later on the kitchen floor with dried, crusted chocolate around my mouth. I also ground the almond flour using a coffee grinder. I do this with any recipe. I hear the Honeyville almond flour is already pretty fine, but I use Bob's Redmill. It's easier for me to get and I don't mind taking a minute to pulse it.

With that say, WOW. These are amazing. Let's face it, Paleo recipes tend to have two textures: hard as a rock or pre-chewed baby food. But these were delicious and had a great texture. And here's a tip: *if* you're feeling in a super fudgey mood, why don't you pop those puppies out a minute or two earlier and let them sit before you cut them. They're almost like a torte at that point, except without the fancy title.

So head on over to Gluten Free on a Shoestring and get on with your fudgy self. And feel free to let us know what tweaks you made, if any!




No comments:

Post a Comment